One of the absolute best things about having curly hair is the ability to rock your curls for multiple days. Today I want to share The Best Silk Cap For Next Day Curls.
Curls get better with time when properly preserved. My favorite days to wear my hair are on day two and three. Because each day I get more volume while still maintaining a decent amount of definition.
But it wasn’t always that way. For years I woke up with a lion’s mane on my head that felt like it was eating me.
It wasn’t until I did some research and found the secret to preserving curls overnight.
But before we get started, if you are feeling a little lost on your curly journey then girl, you are in the right place! I have a special gift for you!
I created a simple curly girl cheat sheet to help you get started taking care of your curls.
The best way to preserve your curls overnight is to sleep on silk because silk is smooth to touch and doesn’t absorb moisture.
- Because silk is very smooth it causes little to no friction when you sleep which helps keep frizz and breakage to a minimum.
- Unlike other fabrics, silk doesn’t absorb moisture from your hair keeping it hydrated overnight.
UPDATE: I’ve done a ton of experimenting with night protection and while I think a sleep cap is the best way to preserve your curls, for me, a silk pillowcase is more comfortable.
The Problem With A Basic Silk Cap
When I first started reading about the importance of sleeping on silk for curly girls, I quickly ran to Target and picked up a silk cap.
I was amazed the next morning to wake up to moisturized bouncing curls. But after wearing it a few times I quickly realized it was very uncomfortable and hard to keep on. It almost always slipped off halfway through the night.
So I started searching for a more comfortable option and reading dozens of reviews.
Important update: You’ll notice that I have updated my silk cap recommendation.
After having some issues with my scrunch it and getting complaints about poor quality and customer service, I can no longer recommend this silk cap.
I was able to find a company that makes luxury, satin, bonnets.
So I’ve replaced my scrunch it with the Cheya Curl Care sleep cap and loving it!
And it’s more affordable than the scrunch it which is a double win.
The Best Silk Cap For Next Day Curls
After using many different silk caps, the one I always seem to go back to is the satin cap by Cheya.
It’s a luxury, reversible, silk bonnet made from high-quality silk.
The Product Is High Quality
The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was that it was super high quality. It is made out of soft smooth silk.
Unique And Brilliant Design
I love the pull string design because it allows me to adjust how tight it is around my head.
I get headaches easily so this has helped a ton.
Comfortable And Easy To Use
It’s A Family Owned Business
Supporting family business has always been important to me so I love being able to support a small business.
How To Use The Cheya Silk Cap
- Always do a scalp massage before bed to create blood flow and stimulate hair growth. I use Righteous Roots oil coupled with these scalp massaging tools.
- Pineapple your hair on the top of your head using a puff cuff or non-damaging hair tie.
- Mist your hair with water. I do this every night to add a bit of moisture.
- Cover your curls with the silk sleep cap
- (optional) Sleep on a silk pillowcase. I like to do this because it’s just an added way to reduce friction. I LOVE this silk pillowcase.
After using and even promoting other sleep caps, I was unhappy with the long term use of them.