One thing that will inevitably start popping up after researching the curly girl method is doing an apple cider (ACV) vinegar rinse. Today I am sharing A Complete Guide To Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse For Beginner.
Important note: While drugstore products and DIY’s are a great way to get started, they work as a band-aide approach and are not a solution for long term results.
This is why many people experience inconsistent results as well as protein or moisture overload.
When it comes to promoting hair growth and having healthy hair, it is super important to invest in a quality line that will nourish your scalp and your hair follicle from the inside out.
If you would like a custom product recommendation based on your specific hair type, fill out the form below.
A Complete Guide To Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse For Beginners
First, let’s talk a little bit about the benefits of doing an ACV rinse.
Benefits of apple cider vinegar for curlies:
- Balances hair and scalp PH level
- Helps to prevent fungal and bacterial growth
- Keeps hair and scalp healthy
- Contains nutrients (vitamins B, C, and potassium), which are beneficial for your hair.
- Clarifies and exfoliates your scalp
- Can also help with volume and curl definition, since it doesn’t weigh down strands like silicone-based conditioners
- stimulates hair growth by increasing blood circulation to hair follicles
- is cost-effective and does not contain any preservatives
- Detangles curly hair
- Prevents split ends
- Reduces frizz
- Adds shine to curly hair
Next, let’s talk about what ACV is not….
- It’s not too acidic: This is only true if you don’t dilute it.
- It will damage your hair: Also only true if you don’t dilute it.
- It will make your hair smell like vinegar: As long as you rinse the treatment, it will not leave any scent to your hair.
Get your FREE DIY curly hair recipes book here.
Is An ACV Rinse For Everyone?
Not necessarily. Because not all curls are created equal, remember?
Every curl is unique and has a mind of its own. You will need to experiment several times and find out what works best for your locks.
A lot of it depends on the porosity of your hair.
Since ACV is acidic it works to close the hair cuticle which is great for high porosity hair.
While low porosity curlies should add more water to your ACV rinse and will typically only need to do it once or twice per month.
How To Do Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment The Right Way
- Choose an organic, raw, unfiltered brand of ACV. The liquid should be slightly cloudy which is good. That’s all where all the nutrients live.
- You can do the ACV rinse after you shampoo or of on unwashed hair. Just dampen your hair before you begin
- Mix raw ACV with water, using a 1-3 ratio (ex: 1 tbsp ACV and 3 tbsps).
- You can apply using a spray bottle or a bowl and to pour it over your head. Apply throughout damp hair roots to end and massage into your hair and scalp
- Let the mixture sit in your hair for about 5 minutes then rinse out thoroughly
- It’s important to pay close attention and document how your hair reacts. Everyone’s curls are different and what works for me might now work for you.
Here is the before & after of my curls after doing an ACV rinse.
One HUGE mistake I see curly girls make is jumping into their curly girl journey with no plan of tracking their progress.
There is nothing more frustrating than trying to re-create a bomb wash day but failing miserably because you didn’t follow the same steps.
After many wash day fails, I decided to develop a detailed system that helps me keep track of what works and what doesn’t work for me hair.
My Miracle Curls Daily Tracker is a customized, detailed, daily tracking system to be able to look back on and see how far you’ve come, and exactly what works and doesn’t work for your curls.
Get your copy of My Miracle Curls Daily Tracker here.
Did you give the ACV since a try? Tag me in your results on IG @curly_colleen
You may also like these popular posts:
- The Beginners Guide To Making Flaxseed Gel
- How To Make Rice Water For Curly Hair
- How To Refresh Curly Hair Using Flaxseed Gel
- My Super Secret DIY Refresh Spray For Perfect Next Day Curls
- DIY Hot Oil Treatment (under $15!!)
- Easy 4 Ingredient DIY Deep Condition Treatment
- Everything You Need To Know About Argan Oil For Your Hair